Today’s toaster oven not only just toast and bake, but can also do wide range of cooking. High end toaster ovens comes with loads of advance and latest features. With full convection and presets settings, and a variety of new and improved cooking elements to play with you will find these toaster ovens so tempting to buy. So if you are planning to replace or buy a new toaster oven to have more versatility on your counter top and want to know what features you should have, then you have come to right place.
Features You Should Look in A Toaster Oven
- Insulated Top: For those who have small kitchen and frequently run out of counter space, then having toaster oven with insulated top is very handy feature, as you can mount such toaster oven under the cabinet or if you are keeping it on the counter then you can keep other stuffs on the top of the toaster oven thus saving your precious counter space.
- Location of Controls: Controls are generally on the side, though some toaster ovens like Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress have control at the bottom. Advantage of having controls at the bottom is (i) Toaster oven are more narrower thus saving space and (ii) Door opens higher up, so even there are plates or other stuffs on your counter; you can still open your toaster oven without any problem. But there is one disadvantage with controls at the bottom, they are more likely to get damage by things getting pushed around the counter. So if you aren’t careless when pushing things around then have toaster oven with this feature.
- Does Rack Slide out Automatically: Look for Toaster ovens with rack connected to the door. When you open the door, the rack slides out a couple of inches. This helps in taking out your cooked food without the risk of burning your hand; since you don’t have to reach in.
- Multiple racks: Toaster ovens with multiple racks can be useful for broiling, but they don’t tend to cook evenly and also they don’t toast perfectly as they are blocked by another level of racks. Also if you are cooking with both racks in, then there is very little space left in between and there is high risk of burning your hand when grabbing things out.
- Depth: Toaster ovens with more depth can accommodate large pizzas. But they take large space on the counter.
- Convection: Convection toaster ovens are better than regular toaster oven. Food are cooked more faster and also more evenly. Also convection toaster oven save energy.
- Broiler: Not all toaster ovens can broil.
- Automatic shut-off: Automatic shut-off feature reduces the risk of burned food and accidental fires. Most toaster ovens turn off after 30 to 60 minutes.
- Cord controls: Some models of toaster ovens have retractable cords. Others have indentations into which you can wrap the cord to keep it under control.
- Removable crumb tray: Look for the toaster oven that have removable crumb tray. A crumb tray that removes completely is easier to clean than one that does not.
- Accessories: Some toaster oven comes with loads of accessories like tray, pan and tools to pull out your racks etc